The Practice and Practice History

About Grove House Partnership

In October 2016 Grove House Partners took over Heath Road Surgery after Dr Sakena’s Retirement. Due to the success of this, on Thursday 17th August 2017, Grove House Practice and Heath Road Surgery merged together to become Grove House Partnership, making Heath Road a branch of Grove House.

We are a full Primary Health Care Team and have a number of general practitioners, practice nurses and health care assistants as well as district nurses, health visitors, midwives and a full complement of non-medical support staff to support the efficient running of the partnership.

Both practices provide easy access for disabled people and for mums or dads with prams. All surgeries are on the ground floor for convenience. Each practice also has a car park with disabled spaces available nearby.

We also have a ‘Patient Group’ which consists of members from both Grove House and Heath Road practices. We regularly meet on a 4-6 weekly basis with the group to discuss specific issues and we rely on their assistance to help us to improve our services to our patients as we feel the patient’s point of view is essential if we are to continue to provide an excellent service.

Together we aim to provide the very highest quality of care for the people within the Runcorn area. We constantly monitor our services to ensure we can improve and provide the best service. Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

To view (or print) our latest Practice Booklet, which provides the details on our services, please click here.

Grove House Practice History

The original surgery in Waterloo Road


At the start of the 20th Century, Grove House Practice was already established in the splendid house of the same name that still stands on the corner of Waterloo Road and Grove Street. At that time, the practice was run by just one doctor, who single-handedly dispensed medicine, attended house visits and decided who had to pay and who was eligible for free medical treatment.

When the NHS began in 1948, the practice was then run by a principle doctor and an assistant. This arrangement lasted until 1970, when the number of partners was increased to four, following the amalgamation with Queen Street Practice. In 1982 the practice moved to St Paul’s Health Centre, a modern purpose built building directly opposite the main bus station in Runcorn Old Town.

In April 1999 the practice became part of the Runcorn Primary Care Group which merged with St Helens Primary Care Group to form Halton and St Helens Primary Care Trust. This allowed all the practices in Halton and St Helens to plan together for the future care of the people of Halton and St Helens and liaise with other agencies such as Social Services. In April 2013, PCTs across the country were abolished and the Practice is now part of NHS Halton CCG, which not only brings together all the local GP Practices, but also works much more closely with Halton Borough Council.

From April 2015 Grove House Practice became a five GP partnership with Dr D Wilson as the Senior GP. Full details of all our GPs can be found here.

In October 2016, after the retirement of Dr Sakena, Grove House Partners took over Heath Road Surgery and on Thursday 17th August 2017, Grove House Partnership – consisting of Grove House Practice and Heath Road Surgery – officially came into being.

St Paul’s Chapel


History of St Paul’s

St Paul’s Health Centre is a relatively modern building (built in 1982) in Runcorn town centre. The centre gets its name from a chapel that once stood proudly on the same site, a building once known as “the most distinctive building in Runcorn”. Built by Thomas Hazelhurst in 1866 at a cost of £8000, it was frequently used for concerts and, having a powerful organ, for recitals. Sadly, the use of the chapel declined and it became too expensive to maintain. The building was demolished in 1963.